Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Seeking Jesus

Mark 13:32-37


32 “But about that day or hour no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33 Beware, keep alert;[f] for you do not know when the time will come. 34 It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his slaves in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to be on the watch. 35 Therefore, keep awake—for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or at dawn, 36 or else he may find you asleep when he comes suddenly. 37 And what I say to you I say to all: Keep awake.”


It seems strange that the first readings for Advent come from the end of the Gospels. Before we come to the weeks telling about his first coming as a baby so long ago, we are reminded that he will come again, that we are to expect him to come, even now.  And that is a great comfort, because there are so many places that need his presence, so many hearts waiting to be healed by his love.

As a parent, I am encouraged by Jesus' words to his disciples.  How many times do we not know the answers to our children's questions?  Over the years, I have grown more and more comfortable saying to my children, "I don't know,"  just as Jesus responds to his disciples when they ask him about his return. 

Sometimes, my "I don't know," is the end of the answer, but sometimes I go on to say, "Let's find the answer together."  What if today, we tried that answer with our children in response to this question?  When will Jesus come again?  "I dont' know, why don't we find out together." 

The passage helps us to remember, that we are looking for Jesus to come at any time, not just on December 25 or a long time in the future, so let's stay awake and look for him today.  I know that at this time of year, I am so busy looking for the perfect gift, planning for the next event, that I am asleep to the gift in front of me, the event that is happening right now. 



Little Girls and Jesus
by Jean Keaton
What if we challenge ourselves and our children to look for Jesus each day?  Will we find him at school? in the store? at work?  Will we find him in the face of a friend? a family member? a stranger?  Will he need our help or will he help us?  I think the more we seek...the more we will find
that Jesus is among us even now.

Begin the day with wonder. 
Where will we find Jesus today?  "I don't know, let's look together."
End the day with sharing. 
Where did you find Jesus today?  "Oh!  Let me tell you!  He was everywhere!"

Here is a song to accompany your wondering and your sharing.  Sleepers Awake!
Won't you share with us?  Where did you see Jesus today?


No comments:

Post a Comment